What Saint Thomas Aquinas College has to say about the Socratic Method.
From The Socratic Method and its Effect on Critical Thinking by Max Maxwell
- Questions about the Question: Can we break this question down? To answer this question, what questions must we answer first?
- Questions of Clarification: What do you mean by ____? Can you give me an example?
- Questions about Assumptions: What are you assuming? What could we assume instead?
- Questions about Reasons: Could you explain your reasons? What would convince you otherwise?
- Questions about Evidence: Do you have any evidence for that? What other information must we know? Who is in the position to know if that is the case?
- Questions about Viewpoints: What would someone who disagrees say? How could you answer that objection?
- Questions about Implications: What are you implying by that? What effect would that have? If this is true, what else must be true?
A typical Socratic circle rubric