- How do we get our voices to be heard?
- Why is it important to read multiple perspectives on an issue?
- Why do social injustices exist and what makes them occur?
- Why would someone choose to be a bystander?
- How do society and the individual shape each other?
Critical Vocabulary: Irony, symbolism, characterization, theme, point of view, foreshadowing, setting, coming of age novel, motif, author’s purpose, argument, logic, civil rights movement, Great Depression, segregation, Jim Crow Laws
Some people believe in strict enforcement of the law for offenders.
Others, like Benjamin Franklin, believe “that it is better 100 guilty persons should escape than that one innocent person should suffer.”